Sunday, March 10, 2013


On Friday March 8th, 2013
I had my Pulmology appointment with Dr. Bohan.  She is FANTASTIC! I just loved meeting with her and I can't thank Dr. Rodarte enough getting me in to see her and so quickly. 
I got to spend about 45 minutes with Dr. Bohan.  We went over my medical history, after filling her in on my life the last 6 months (can you believe it's been 6 months since diagnosis??). 
She told me that it could be one of three things effecting my lungs. 
1) Infection
2) Valley Fever (which is considered a fungus...YUCK)
3) My cancer has metastasized
1) Infection.  There is many types of infections out there, with my low immune system it could be a number of different infections.  She did however say normally when you see pulmonary nodules and it's infection the edges of the nodules are rough or ridged.  Mine are smooth. That doesn't rule out infection just yet...
2) Valley Fever.  As I live in the region for Valley Fever, and my nodules definitely look as it could be Valley Fever, but I do not have the normal symptoms of Valley Fever.  The symptoms for Valley Fever are: Fatigue, cough, chest pain, fever, rash and headaches and joint aches.  I haven't experienced any of these symptoms except for headaches, which I didn't think anything of since I get headaches often.  I have also been complaining the past month or so about my body/joint aches.  It came on all of a sudden when I get up I am so sore, I hurts to walk in the morning everything from my feet to the top of my head is sore.  I was told it was a side effect from chemo.  So I just brushed it off as something that will pass.
3) Cancer has metastasized.  This freaks me out and scares the living day lights out of me.  The two places my cancer can metastasize to is my lungs or brain. 
Dr. Bohan didn't say one way or the other on what it could be, or even what she thinks it might be.  She did however say she wanted to do blood work to test for Valley Fever.  I did that Friday and it will be back in a few days.  She also said she wanted to do a Lung Biopsy, as suggested on the PET report.  She wanted that scheduled for the first part of this coming week.  I called my office to see when they could get me in and they had as soon as Monday (03.11.13) but needed to see what my BUN, Creatnine, PT, PTT and INR were.  If my platelets were too low (50 or higher is recommended) then I would need to have a transfusion prior to the biopsy.  I appreciate all those wonderful people out there that give blood.  I just don't want another transfusion if I can help it.  So I decided to put the Lung biopsy on hold for the time being.  I am going to wait and see what the blood work says.  I don't want a biopsy if not necessary to diagnose me. 
I should have my blood work back on Monday for the kidney function and all that.  The Valley Fever won't be back probably until Tuesday or Wednesday.  At this point I am hopeful that I just have Valley Fever and it's not cancer.
Still no word yet on a new Hem doc.  I was to see Dr. Gordon (Clinical Trial and Hem) but as it stands he doesn't take my insurance.  So I will have to be referred to another doctor.  I am going to see my PCP Dr. Nutakki (I use to work for her as well) on Thursday.  So I hope she can help me get some things lined up for new Hem docs. 
I have wonderful news as well...I got word on Thursday from my supervisor that they are going to allow me to return to work on a part time basis.  They had a position open for part time so they will just let me take it!  This is fantastic news for me! Such a weight has been lifted.  I was really stressed out for a few days on what I was going to do.  Working part time will not only give me some sort of income, but secure my benefits as well!!!  I think going back to work is going to do wonders for me! It will help keep my mind off so much!  As well as letting me have a "normal life" again!!!  I hope to be back to full time before the end of April or sooner!
Thank you God for answering our prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment